Citrus season is at its peak and I am taking full advantage of this wonderful fruit. A few weeks ago I posted this delicious Blood Orange Margarita which got me thinking about other great drinks made with citrus. I remembered watching an episode of Everyday Italian where Giada made homemade Limoncello and I knew immediately I wanted to try it. The recipe is really simple and only calls for a few ingredients. Limoncello is the second most popular liqueur in Italy and in generally served chilled as an after-dinner digestivo. In the US it is mainly used in cocktails, I will be featuring three different cocktail using this delicious lemon liqueur. Also, I used the leftover lemons for another treat I will be showing you this week, so stay tuned…….
- 10 Lemons
- 1 (750 ml) bottle Vodka
- 3 1/2 Cups Water
- 2 1/2 Cups Sugar
- Using a vegetable peeler, remove the peel from the lemon using long strips (reserve the lemons for another use). Using a pairing knife cut off any pith from the peels.
- Place the lemon peels in a 2-quart pitcher. Pour the entire bottle of Vodka into the pitcher.
- Cover with plastic wrap and steep the mixture for 4 days at room temperature.
- In a medium sauce pan on medium-high heat add the sugar and water. Stir until combined. Cook until the sugar is completely dissolved, about 5 minutes.
- Remove pan from the heat and cool completely.
- Pour the sugar syrup in the pitcher with the vodka mixture. Let stand at room temperature overnight.
- Strain the mixture through a mesh strainer. Discard the peels.
- Pour the mixture in a glass bottle and refrigerate for at least 4 hours before serving. Lasts for 1 month.