Stovetop Mac and Cheese
This is one of those recipes where after you make it for the first time you want to kick yourself for not making it sooner! This recipe is extremely versatile. It can easily be a delicious side to accompany any meal or it can be the main dish. You can add a number of ingredients to make this a very quick dinner. Some of my favorite things to add to this pasta are: Ham and peas, grilled or leftover chicken and frozen broccoli, sauteed onions and bell peppers or steamed squash and zucchini. The possibilities are endless. Leave a comment letting me know how you served this dish and what you added to it.
- 1 lb. pasta (any shape will do)
- 1/4 cup shallot, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2/3 cup shredded white cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup whole milk or heavy cream
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 1/4 tsp. dry mustard
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 cup reserved pasta water
- In a large pot of boiling water add pasta and cook for 8-10 minutes. Once the pasta is cooked reserve one cup of the pasta water in a measuring cup and set aside. Strain the pasta and leave in the colander.
- Place the large pot back on the stove and turn the heat down to medium. Add the butter shallots and garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the pasta, cheeses, milk, sour cream, dry mustard, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper. Stir until the cheese is melted and the pasta is creamy. If necessary add some of the reserved pasta water a little at a time until desired consistency. Serve immediately.